Friday, July 15, 2011

VISITING EDITH IN MINAS GERAIS

23. May - 24. May 2011

When I was living in Florianopolis ten years ago, I stayed with Edith and her family. Now she is back in her hometown Pouso Alegre in the state Minas Gerais and I went there to visit Edith there. From Sao Paulo I took a bus that started nightmarish. The bus was fairly empty but next to me was sitting a drunk and crazy man. He tried to talk to me but I pretended not to understand but told him that I'm German. He than tried to find someone in the bus who spoke German and could talk to me. He constantly mumbled how bad it is that I only speak German and continued to try to talk to me although I used my earphones. He was kind of annoyed when I moved away to another seat to have some peace.
Edith waited at the bus station for me. After a stop at her now apartment we went on a tour through town by car. I have to say, that Pouso Alegre is not the prettiest town but that wasn't the reason why I went there anyways. The surroundings are quite pretty though with lots of green hills. We also went to the towns "zoo" but there were only animals in concrete and two old, very sad looking lions.
After picking up Edith's son Arthur from kindergarten and dinner we went to bed early.
The next day Edith, her dad and me drove to the town of Poco de Caldas. The drive there was quite nice with lots a green hills, coffee and banana plantations and little villages. We walked around town, had sushi for lunch, enjoyed the view over the town from a hill with a Christo statue,  visited an old huge hotel with a nice garden and went to some waterfalls. Back in Pouso Alegre we had dinner at Edith's parents place. My last day there I went with Edith to a town close to Campinas, where Edith had lived before. There we drove up to the hill "piedras grande" where usually are many para-gliders but we didn't see any. The view from up there was worth the drive up the bad road. After lunch and a good coffee it was time for me to catch a bus back to Sao Paulo.
Edith - it was great seeing you. Thanks for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment