Thursday, July 14, 2011

VISITING DANIEL IN SAO PAULO

21. May - 25. May 2011

I've been to Sao Paulo before. Ten years ago for only one day. And I didn't like it. I remember it as a crowded, dirty and unsafe city. But this time it was a different experience. My good friend Daniel, that I met a long time ago in Florianopolis, picked me up at the airport and showed me the city from a non-tourist view. First we went to a small flea market before going to a restaurant / bar for typical Brazilian feijoada (beans and meat). There was also live samba music. At night we met up with friends of Daniel and went to a club with live music. Coincidentally the same band as in the afternoon was playing at this place as well. Which made me questioning if there is only one samba band in the 14 million people city of Sao Paulo. Anyways, I had a good time.
Sunday we went to the Ibirapuera park - Sao Paulo's central park - for breakfast, walking, talking and people watching. After that we had an immense sandwich at the Mercado municipal before going to the soccer museum. The next day I went to Minas Gerais to visit my friend Edith. When I returned I spent a few more great hours in Sao Paulo. With Daniel and his friend Bio, who just had returned from a year traveling around the world, we went out at night. First we went to a rather fancy bar were everyone was very well dressed. In our traveler suit (comfy and not the newest clothes) Bio and I felt quite under-dressed. Not my kind of bar but a good experience anyways. Afterward we went to a small bar to meet more friends and were drinking beer on the street in front of a bar that was closing. Thanks guys for a nice night out. The next morning after breakfast it was time to head to the airport to catch my flight to Lima. Daniel – thanks for a great time in Sao Paulo. It was great seeing you – as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment