Wednesday, March 23, 2011

GETTING FROM ARICA TO VALPARAISO

03. March – 06. March 2011

After arriving in Arica, Chile and finding a hostel (where I was welcomed with cookies and tea), I went to the nearby market. There were a lot of stands selling fruits and vegetables. I bought veggies for a big salad - great after weeks of rice, chicken and fish and not a lot of greens. I also went for a walk at the beach and watched the sunset. I was used to watch the sunset every day at the beach in Canoa but it didn't feel the same here...
Arica didn't have a lot to offer and I decided to leave the next day. I just wasn't sure where I wanted to go to. In a few days I was going to meet Micha and Rudi in Santiago and it was a long way to get there. I didn't want to take a 28 hours direct bus to Valparaiso to meet Micha there, nor did I want to go to another city for one or two days. So, I took a night bus to a small town Chanaral, hang out there during the day (the town didn't have anything interesting and I spent most time walking up and down the main road and at the internet cafe) and then took another night bus to Valparaiso.
The landscape in northern Chile was similar to the coastal area in Peru. Mostly dry desertland with a few (more or less) green valleys.

No comments:

Post a Comment